Since the middle of the 13th century, this square, named after William II, King of the Netherlands and Grand Duke of Luxembourg, has accommodated the church and the monastery of the order of Saint Francis. In common parlance the square is also called Knuedler - derived from the Luxembourgish word “Knued” denoting the knot in the belt of the Franciscan friars.
In 1797 the French seized the monastery with all its grounds and disposed of it part by part. In the following centuries the whole cluster of edifices was pulled down and the square redesigned. Today, the William Square hosts not only the Town Hall and the Luxembourg City Tourist Office, but also plenty of markets, open air concerts and feasts.
LUkraine asbl is a registered non-profit organization with a public interest status (F 9931) that raises awareness about Ukraine in the EU and around the world and provides humanitarian aid to Ukraine.